Dangerously Nice: Kretek Cigarettes

6:50 PM
Dangerously Nice: Kretek Cigarettes -
Total
0
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Linkedin
Whatsapp

I was a kretek (clove cigarette) smoking for nearly two years. When I started smoking cigarettes clove Kalimantan during a voluntary placement, I remember a volunteer aged warned me, "Be careful with these things, they can be too nice."

Smiling, I stupidly said, "Don 't worry, I've never been addicted to smoking, I'm just a social smoker" In truth, I had myself fooled - . kretek pod they were so aromatic and perfectly aligned with the coffee - I forgot that I was smoking tobacco Soon, I was chain-smoking at social gatherings one morning after seeing a cigarette packages pyramid.. . empty, it occurred to me that I am an addict and I miserably tangled my knotted hair and slumped to a close toko to soothe my throbbing head later, I turned into a troll - I moan if I do not get my coffee fix and kretek. After an evening of socializing with friends, sometimes I hide a kretek in an old shoe so there would always be for me the morning. sometimes my husband or friend would bloody found

It is precisely because the pods are so "nice." - Marinating even hide the taste of tobacco - I was hooked. Obviously I do not want to upset the kretek community, but at least I can talk a little kretek kretek the culture and how and why kretek can be dangerously beautiful.

The onomatopoeic word 'kretek', is derived from the crackling the pods are as they jump and burn each inhalation. They were first invented by Jamahri of Kudus in Central Java in 1880. A person suffering asthma, Jamahri first rubbed with clove oil on his chest (the oil can be toxic if consumed) However, it was later discovered that when the pods were inhaled with tobacco, he could breathe easier is composed of eugenol in cloves kretek that give their distinctive aroma -.. eugenol is an antiseptic and anesthetic that numbs the throat despite their origins, however, kretek not a healthy alternative and studies have shown that health effects are similar to conventional cigarettes (kretek although some contain more nicotine and tar).

Yet health warnings aside, kretek industry does provide income clove farmers and the workers in the factory since the majority of kretek are hand-rolled. Thickens debate now. Not only kretek provide employment to many Indonesians, but they are also considered a cultural icon. Ngudut dan Ngopi is the Javanese "art" of smoking and drinking coffee. The tradition of decorating kretek with ground coffee and milk, known as nyethe is popular in East Java and batik motifs are painted with toothpicks or spoons.

Kretek Factory Workers Among the communities kretek, a popular anecdote is the following; in 1953, at the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, Indonesian diplomat KH Agus Salim, on the observation of a clumsy-looking Duke of Edinburgh (who was young and probably nervous), approached him, and lit a kretek asked him if he recognized the smell. After the prince had admitted he did not recognize the scent, Agus said with his characteristic satire, "This is why there are 300 or 400 years, your people have sailed the seas and colonized our country."

This year, the film Mereka yang Melampaui Waktu (Those who Surpass Time) headed by Darwin Nugraha was released and the book of the same name was written by Sigit Budhi Setiawan. Darwin wanted counter . anti-smoking campaigns documenting Indonesian older smokers who were still healthy for the project, older smokers and coffee addicts across Java, Bali and Lombok were interviewed, some were smokers and famers yet plowed and harvested tobacco despite their age. Perhaps it could be argued, however, that the traditional life style campaign of subjects had positive health benefits (eg, rigorous exercise of agriculture), which helped to deny the harm of cigarettes and their bodies are not subject to the constraints of modern urban life and pollution

Some consider flavored cigarettes whose kretek to be a "bridge" on smoking and many companies and kretek cigarettes deliberately targeting young people. Indonesia, kretek companies organize academic sponsorship as well as a nightclub and music events. According to studies, children and young people are particularly receptive to marketing strategies, so it is a concern.

Perhaps, a balanced point of view, it might be wise to say that it is never good to be addicted to anything, be it chocolate, Internet, "crackberry" or tobacco. Ideally all sweet things should be taken in moderation, although I am not a good example.

Old Kretek Cigarette Packets I did not have the relaxed features of Javanese ngudut smoking. Denied my guilt all the fun is called sensual. I remember Bill Hicks chain-smoking and thinking, "flip, it'll be me in a year or two," and in a panic, I lit a cigarette. After ten years of kretek smoke, my husband agreed that . we should give up and using alternative sweets, we soon discovered that all traces of will were smoked away Irritable, we even had a public argument at a Mexican restaurant in Kemang - I felt ugly and fat and I ' was probably after all the candy replacement I ate. as a stroppy teenager with a headache, I stubbornly sat in silence and my husband threw his gum against the ceiling in protest. Embarrassed, I slinked out of the restaurant , self-hatred bubbling and despair.

in the end, we found a copy of Allen Carr's Easy Way to stop smoking and we both quits on the same day after reading the book. We were off cigarettes for 14 months without a relapse and I feel free and happy. Of course, I put on weight and was named Gemuk (chubby) by friends and people I did not really know and instead of congratulating me, some friends even tease me to smoke again but for those who want to give or gave up, let me say :. congratulations

Additional Information

Mark Hanusz kretek The Culture and Heritage cigarettes clove of Indonesia (04) Equinox Publishing

Sigit Budhi Setiawan Mereka Melampaui Waktu yang (2013) dan Pustaka Sempu Layar Nusa

Total
0
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar