Meet David Metcalf

5:49 PM
Meet David Metcalf -
Total
0
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Linkedin
Whatsapp

Meet David Metcalf, aka Dave Dayak, a photographer and writer whose passion for Indonesia gives people he photographs and love.

David, how did your Indonesian history begin?
Well, I lived in Jakarta in 00 until 05 working for UPS and had worked for them for 20 years. Loved Jakarta! I had this passion for photography, but it was very much a hobby at the time and I would travel all around different parts of Indonesia. The kids were younger then if we're dragging children, throw them on the plane and off we went! I always took pictures. I did some exhibitions and product calendars that we sold to raise money for charity.

When my time has ended in this mission, we seriously thought about moving to Bali, but the children were still young, so we decided to go to New Zealand for a year, followed by Brisbane five. Really since my departure from Jakarta, I always wanted to return to Indonesia.

What made you want to return?
I just fell in love with the country really; I liked it. I am very interested in Aboriginal cultures, and I've just been traveling and the most amazing hours, and I love people. Everywhere we went, people were really everywhere. So, once the children have grown and left the school, he was always a mine plan to return; not only do photography, but to participate with the community and give back. I'm not here to live in a beautiful villa in Seminyak and connect with people. This has always been an important part of my thinking.

Why did you choose to live in Ubud and Seminyak not, for example?
Because Ubud is the cultural center of Bali. If you are interested in culture, this is the place to be, there is no comparison. There are no culture Seminyak or downwards in this way; it is devoid of Balinese culture. Here it is so alive. I explored a lot of the back country, back roads and villages, and it is like thousands of years ago; nothing has changed, which is just wonderful.

David 'Dayak Dave' Metcalf

David 'Dave Dayak' Metcalf

We have a private villa for rent in Ubud called Villa Groomed and we just next to a village. If you want to embrace their lifestyles, people are so happy to welcome you in their culture. I am very privileged and I am invited to the ceremonies and I saw all kinds of amazing things, mass cremations and dig up bones to trance ceremonies. I saw things that I can not explain everything.

How about starting your photography tours start?
I do not know what to do with my love photography and I went to a workshop in Queenstown, New Zealand with two very good photographers Jackie Ranken and Michael Langford, and I thought, why not organize the visits photograph in Bali and Indonesia? I asked if they were interested in participating and they were very enthusiastic. So I organized the first in September 2012. I approached Mark Rayner is an amazing photography teacher and never left Australia before, and we did the first tour in November, which was really successful. We have had visits to Kalimantan, Bali, India and America and this year Sri Lanka is in the agenda and the islands east of Bali on a luxury boat. Also the fantastic Hornbill festival in North India!

How many two-week photographic tour would set you back?
For the orangutan trip, which is eight nights, it is $ 3,0 and that includes just about everything. It is a good value because it includes domestic transfers, river boat, teachers, and housing.

Have you shorter visits as well?
I am also a half-day and one-day visits to Bali, which will appeal more to local photographers. It is precisely around Ubud and around special ceremonies.

What if someone feels a bit intimidated but wants to join?
They are very welcome and we will certainly respond to that. We had starters of Canberra who had just bought a camera just before they boarded the plane, so they were complete beginners. It is open to everyone.

When making these visits, how the people respond?
They are intrigued and they always come and ask what is happening. They are just as interested in us as we are in them. That's the other thing that is very hard on my visits is that I take people for non-tourist places, so most of the time there are no other foreigners at all. People come here for photography, and we provide, but they leave with a much deeper experience and they want to participate and give something back to the community.

Indonesia's Hidden Heritage Book Cover

hidden from the Indonesian Heritage Book Cover

your book, Hidden Heritage Indonesia is a book amazing photography, your wife Stephanie Brookes revived with his stories. How long did it take to put this book together and what your readers to complete it?
The book was a project of 12 months. We visited 12 different locations during this period to create stories and photos. Six stories are my own and six are Stephanie.

The road was looking to find interesting cultural stories and the desire to photograph people and the beauty of Indonesia.

What do you think of this book brings to the table?
The 0-page book is mainly pictures and stories tend to be personal experiences that we have had to attend ceremonies, visiting hidden villages and connecting with many indigenous cultures interesting of this extraordinary country. I hope this inspires people to hop on a plane or a boat and visit some of the places described in the book. There is a section in the back called "Cultural Connections" with emails and contact phone numbers of good reliable local guides which makes it easy for people to get to these places. There is nothing on the shelves quite like this book, so we sincerely hope people will read it and learn about the amazing variety of people who live on some of these thousands of islands.

What do you have planned for the future, David?
Plans are underway to open a photography gallery in Ubud later in the year. I also plan to start a photography festival in Ubud next year with local and international talent with photographers. But my main goals for now are both environmental and health programs in the villages of Central Kalimantan and Flores, and a documentary film about a trip I'm in August in central Borneo to raise awareness of the Dayak culture and environment. My photography is really all about raising awareness, inspiring hope people to participate and to improve the lives of Indonesians, and the importance of preserving the environment.

You can obtain a copy of David and Stephanie's book or inquire about its guided photographs www.davidmetcalfphotography.com. You can also buy the book in most countries of the bookstores.

If anyone is interested in learning more about David and health education programs in Kalimantan, or help in some way s 'please write to him directly davidmetcalf3@mac.com or by phone: 081 113 312 55.

Total
0
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar